Wednesday, April 23, 2014

My Motor

     For my motor, the construction is very simple:

First, I constructed my stator.

My stator consisted of five layers of single strand 14 gauge copper wire wrapped around two L-brackets made of galvanized steel. I also put a layer of duct tape in between each layer so that the layers wouldn't mix and mess up the field. Next, I made my rotor.

The rotor is made around a thin iron rod which spins. The rotor is wrapped with two layers of 24 gauge magnet wire, and secured in place above the stator. The magnets will power on, and the rotor will spin.
Finally, I built the commutator. The commutator is quite simple. The ends of the magnet wire from the rotor come to the commutator, and each end touches a different piece of copper taped over a cork. Both pieces of copper have a space between them on either side, allowing the electricity to easily turn on and off. This constant turning on and off causes the motor to spin 360 degrees.
This is the finished product:






Also, I attached a spool of thread near the back of the commutator to pull a toy car. I found a large space and tested how powerfully the motor can pull the car:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment